Canberra Potters 45th Anniversary Cup Competition
We invite member submissions for the design and subsequent production of a ceramic cup to be sold in the Canberra Potters Shop as part of the Canberra Potters 45th anniversary year.
submissions extended to
Submit your application below
Watson Arts Centre
Canberra Potters was formed in 1975 by thirteen potters who had recently graduated from the Canberra School of Art. Their plan was for the society to be a support base as they established themselves as professional or semi-professional potters/ceramic artists, and included them offering pottery classes to the general Canberra community.
Over the last 45 years Canberra has gone from strength to strength due largely to the hard work of our committed Board, members and staff with support from ArtsACT.
This year we want to recognise and acknowledge where we have come from to be the dynamic ceramic organisation that we are today and celebrate the work and contributions of our members, studio holders, teachers and artists in residence as we move into the future.
The Brief: what are we seeking?
- We are seeking a cup that reflects the quality of the work produced by Canberra Potters members and is creative and aesthetically pleasing in its design and decoration
- A cup that can be produced in quantity and delivered for sale as per the dates required
- There is no set design requirement. Each potter is free to interpret their ideas for the cup form and glaze
- Handbuilt, slipcast and wheelthrown entries are all welcomed
- Each cup will carry the potters’ mark as well as the Canberra Potters 45th Anniversary Stamp
- We encourage artists to be creative in design and decoration
- We are seeking a cup that is innovative and original as well as functional and fit for purpose.
- The successful potter will be commissioned to produce approximately 100 cups at a payment of $30 per cup (with an option to make up to a further 100 if required) to be sold in the Canberra Potters Shop
- The competition is open to all current and life members of Canberra Potters
- All entrants will be featured in a proposed exhibition of submissions in the Foyer Space at Canberra Potters
- The opportunity to have your cup and your work featured in the Canberra Potters Shop and in our media
- Artist opportunities include artist talks, meet the maker opportunity, interviews, networking with artists and associated retail and café owners.
Timeline / Key Dates
- Submissions remain open. Close date TBA
- Ceramic Cup winner to be announced TBA
- Winner to deliver completed cups to be completed and delivered TBA
- The cup needs to be fully functional capable of holding hot tea/coffee (100˚C)
- The volume of the cup needs to measure approximately 250ml to 300ml capacity (+/-10% variation)
- The size and dimensions of the cup are to fit within a box with internal measurements of 9cm (H) X 11cm (L) X 12cm (W)
- The cup will be stamped with the Canberra Potters mark which will be supplied (1cm diameter approx.)
- The winning submission will be required to produce approximately 100 cups/mugs (but have the capabilities to produce up to a further 100 if required)
- The exact number will be confirmed at the time of notifying the winning proposal
- A sample of the ceramic cup is to be submitted by the close of submissions to support your proposal
- The submission needs to be accompanied by the submission form at the bottom of this page.
Q & A
Are there any other considerations for the design of the cup/mug?
- The shape of the ceramic cup is the choice of the artist
- The type of clay to be used is the choice of the artist
- The colour, glaze and finish of the ceramic cup is the choice of the artist
- There are no preferences for a handled or non-handled cup/mug
- The artist may choose to design a single cup or a collection as part of their proposal
- The successful potters must be able to fulfil the order by the required date.
Are joint submissions allowed?
- Joint submissions are allowed but all artists need to be properly acknowledged in the submission.
Can I submit more than one entry?
- Multiple entries are welcome.
Can I engage another potter to help me in the production of the cups?
- Payment for any assistant to help with production is at the cost of the submitting potter. Please remember the cups must be handmade as per the requirement of the competition. (i.e. handbuilt, wheelthrown or slipcast).
How will the submission be assessed?
- The submission will be awarded to the potter that best meets the structural requirements, design and aesthetics as judged by an appointed panel of judges from Canberra pottery community, retail and hospitality industries.
I am not a member of Canberra Potters. Can I make a submission?
- All applicants must be current members of Canberra Potters. Potential applicants are welcome to join and enjoy the many member benefits. Like to join? Click here.
Who is responsible for shipping costs?
- The cost of freight for the initial submission will be at the artists expense. The cups produced by the awarded artist will need to be delivered to Canberra Potters shop
- Requests for sample cups to be returned to the artist/potter is possible (Please note that this will be at the expense of the artist, at the conclusion of the proposed Cup exhibition).
Terms and conditions
- The shape of the ceramic cup is the choice of the artist. The type of clay to be used is the choice of the artist. The colour, glaze and finish of the ceramic cup is the choice of the artist. There are no preferences for a handled or non-handled cup. The artist may choose to design a single cup or a collection of cups as part of their proposal
- The submission will be awarded to the potter that best meets the requirements as judged by an appointed panel of judges as outlined above
- The cost of freight Canberra for the initial submission will be at the artists expense
- Joint submissions are allowed but all artists need to be properly acknowledged in the submission
- Your ceramic cup/mug must be fit for purpose to be sold in the Canberra Potters Shop. Your proposal should be comprehensive and include the required information outlined below. Should your submission not include this important documentation it may be deemed non-conforming and may not be eligible for consideration
- The sample cups will be returned to the artist on completion of the judging
- The Potter agrees to the design remaining exclusive to Canberra Potters for 24 months from the launch of the cup
- Canberra Potters reserves the right to decide not to award the competition prize should it be determined that none of the entries meets the requirement for a retail quality product or fail to fulfill the brief
- An online submission form has been extended:date TBA
- Cup prototypes will be accepted by hand or post delivered to the shop
- We will be accepting the prototype cups via post until further notice. Final postal date TBA.
- Post to
PO Box 7021
WATSON ACT 2602
ATTENTION: CUP COMPETITION
Your submission must include a completed work and should include clear and comprehensive support documentation including:–
- the shape, dimension and capacity of the ceramic cup
- the clay to be used
- suitability for dishwashing and cleaning and any specific care instructions
- budgeted cost per cup.
Not a CPS member?
Membership gives you many benefits at low yearly prices.
Coming from out of town?
Canberra Potters 45th Anniversary Cup Competition
Subscribe to our Newsletter
We produce a monthly newsletter that has information that may not be on this website. Subscribe free of charge.