Volunteer with us
Canberra Potters Volunteer Program
Volunteering with Canberra Potters is a great way to get involved with our vibrant arts community and to gain exposure to the daily operations of our pottery workshops, gallery and arts administration areas. By volunteering, you’ll be able to build contacts within the ceramics community, learn about our objectives and contribute to the community at Canberra Potters.
Volunteers should have an interest in and appreciation of pottery and a can-do attitude. We have a broad range of opportunities available throughout the year, so whether you’re experienced in writing, want to do some hands-on maintenance or a student wanting to make connections at our gallery openings, there’s something for everyone to get involved.
Find out more about Canberra Potters here.
As a volunteer with Canberra Potters you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about contemporary pottery through direct engagement with arts professionals
- Meet like-minded pottery enthusiasts and professionals
- Be able to share your own passion and knowledge for pottery
- Gain experience at Canberra’s leading ceramics organization
You will receive the appropriate training and have the opportunity to perform a variety of duties depending on your area/s of interest, skills and experience.
Canberra Potters has a number of areas in which we require volunteers, but they are broken into three main categories: workshop and facilities, and gallery and administration, and programs and events.
Workshop & Facilities
Workshop and facility volunteers play an important role in maintaining the workshop spaces and grounds. Volunteers in this area can be self-directed or participate in CPS-organised activities such as our quarterly cleaning bees.
Tasks include (but aren’t limited to):
- Helping with general workshop maintenance
- Gardening and other grounds maintenance
- Participating in quarterly cleaning bees
- Glaze development
Gallery & Administration
Gallery and administration volunteers work closely with staff to support the running of the gallery and our general membership programs.
Tasks include (but aren’t limited to):
- Assisting with exhibition openings and gallery events
- Undertaking research to support the Canberra Potters team
- Assisting with administrative tasks
- Cataloguing the Canberra Potters collection
- Install and de-install exhibitions
- Assisting with gallery maintenance, such as painting plinths
- Maintaining the library
Programs and Events
Throughout the year Canberra Potters hosts a number of programs and events, both as members-only and public events. These include our monthly Supper Clubs, Member’s Firing Events, Open Day, markets and The Canberra Show. There are many great opportunities to get involved with our events, either as a support or lead volunteer.
Tasks vary depending on the nature of the event. They can include (but aren’t limited to):
- Greeting, assisting and directing visitors
- Assisting with the set up and pack down of furniture and other equipment for events
- Coordinating other volunteers
- Handling cash and credit card transactions
- Demonstrating different pottery techniques
- Assisting with Supper Club food/drink set up and pack down
- Other opportunities as they arise
Given our broad range of volunteering opportunities, we are flexible with the commitment we require from our volunteers. Whether you’re prepared to volunteer once a week or once a year, we would love to have you on board. Please note that some roles require a regular and/or ongoing commitment, such as managing the library, assisting with exhibition openings, some events, and garden/grounds maintenance.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the below form and we will be in touch!
Volunteer Application Form
Expressions of interest from potential volunteers